Sheer winter hiking pleasure: this leisurely circuit tour will spoil you non-stop with glorious views of the mountain scenery.
From the mountain station of Bettmeralp cable car, set off through Bettmeralp village, past the Maria zum Schnee Chapel, as far as Hotel Alpfrieden. Now follow the path that leads to Restaurant Walliserstube, which is where the Lischa winter hiking trail begins. The path climbs for a short distance then turns west, offering fantastic views of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountains to enjoy. Heading slightly downhill, you soon come to Bachtla Sports Centre and the valley station of the Bettmerhorn gondola lift. From here, you’ll once again pass through Bettmeralp village on the way back to the mountain station of Bettmeralp cable car.
Fancy a longer tour? This route is ideal for combining with the Bettmersee – alpine stables circuit tour to create a wonderful winter hike.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: January 31, 2021
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427542 5137400
Book recommendation by the author
- Winter boots or hiking/trekking boots with a good grip
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Push the arrows to change the view