The Great Aletsch Glacier, the 4000-metre peaks of Valais, Villa Cassel. On this spectacular panoramic winter hike, it’s one highlight after another.
From Riederalp you take the cable car to Moosfluh, one of the view points in the Aletsch Arena. Enjoy the views of the Great Aletsch Glacier and the snowcapped peaks of the Valais Alps before heading west down the ridge to Breitebode. From there, the winter hiking trail follows the Härdernagrat up to the mountain station of the Hohfluh ski lift. Panoramic views accompany you into the next section of the route – with the unique natural landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage site on your right and the sun-drenched plateau and 4000m peaks of Valais on your left. The path heads down to Riederfurka where you pass alongside the impressive Villa Cassel, which is closed during the winter months. The final stage of the trail is a gentle downhill walk to Riederalp.
The tour comprises a number of separate sections. Please check the winter sports report for the status (open/closed).
So many fascinating views on a single route. Take advantage of the many opportunities to sit and digest the wealth of sensory impressions!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: February 05, 2020
Safety informationWinter sports report
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips, hints and linksAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
32T 426834 5138481
Book recommendation by the author
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.