From the view point overlooking the Great Aletsch Glacier back to Riederalp: full of impressions, you hike down to the sunny plateau with fabulous views of the mountains.
Take the glacier lift up to the Moosfluh view point where, even before the winter hike begins, you’ll be treated to a breathtaking panoramic view of the Great Aletsch Glacier and the snow-clad 4000-metre peaks of the Valais Alps. Drink in this spectacle to your heart’s content, before following the adventure trail along the mountain ridge to Breitebode. At this point, leave the ridge and descend towards the Chüestall Mountain Restaurant. The route passes the top end of the Golmenegg ski lift, heading down to the Moosfluh Gletscherbahn valley station, before continuing westwards to the mountain station of the Riederalp-Mitte cable car.
The tour comprises a number of separate sections. Please check the winter sports report for the status (open/closed).
For a programme to pamper your palate, plenty of sunshine and sublime views of the Valais mountains, make a stop at the Chüestall Mountain Restaurant!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 22, 2020
Safety informationWinter sports report
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips, hints and linksAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
32T 426834 5138481
Book recommendation by the author
- Winter boots or hiking/trekking boots with a good grip
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.