Leisurely, easy circular hike on the sun-drenched valley slope below Bettmeralp. The vista of majestic four-thousand-metre peaks accompanies you all the way.
The starting point of this winter hike is the Bettmeralp cable car mountain station. From there, the route first takes you through the lower part of Bettmeralp village as you head east. After passing alongside the Alpmatten button lift, continue your journey in the direction of Ried until you reach a statue of the Virgin Mary at the edge of the path. After a hundred metres or so, take the path that branches off to the left. The route then crosses Bader Forest and slopes upwards, gently at first and then more steeply, until it reaches Baschweri. Here you rejoin the “Promenade de la forêt” trail, which you follow west to return to Bettmeralp.
The tour comprises a number of separate sections. Please check the winter sports report for the status (open/closed).
Visit the terrace of Hotel Aletsch or Bettmerhof and enjoy a little something to keep you going! The fabulous mountain vista is thrown in for free.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 31, 2020
Safety informationWinter sports report
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips, hints and linksAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427539 5137402
Book recommendation by the author
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.