Relaxed winter hiking, enjoyment of nature and a bit of history: past snow-bound alpine hamlets, you hike down to Betten village with its typical Valais chalets.
Distance 8.5 km
Starting at the Bettmeralp cable-car mountain station, you set off through the lower part of Bettmeralp village. The route takes you past charming chalets and the Alpmatten button lift towards Ried, affording magnificent panoramic views of the Valais mountains. It then winds upwards through snow-covered alpine meadows and the hamlets of Domo and Breiten – downhill into the Egga. From here it’s not far to Betten village. You should definitely take the time to explore the village, where many traditional Valais houses are still preserved. Then catch the cable car back up to Bettmeralp or down to Betten valley station.
The tour comprises a number of separate sections. Please check the winter sports report for the status (open/closed).
The oldest part of Betten village has some particularly beautiful Valais houses. Walk round the village for a glimpse into the history of Valais.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: April 19, 2022
Safety informationWinter sports report
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips and hintsAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427548 5137418
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
- Winter boots or hiking/trekking boots with a good grip
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view