This easy winter hike on the sun-drenched slopes below the sunny plateau takes you past three beautifully situated Valais villages as it thrills you with fantastic views.
Distance 3 km
The starting point of the hike is Betten village. Situated on the sun-drenched slopes below the sunny plateau of the Aletsch Arena, it is one of three idyllic Valais villages that you get to explore on this easy winter hike. After a tour of the village, follow the road westwards for a few hundred metres until a footpath branches off to the right, rising gently. Take this path to picturesque Goppisberg, the second Valais village on this hike. From there, follow the new road to the mountain village of Greich. It’s definitely worth exploring the village before catching the cable car up to Riederalp or alternatively down to Mörel. From Riederalp, take the Aletsch Promenade to Bettmeralp.
Please note: The cable car stops at Greich station on request only!
Get a glimpse of the history of the people of Valais: you will still find many typical Valais chalets in the three beautiful Valais villages.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: April 19, 2022
Safety informationWinter sports report
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips and hintsAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Betten Village (Dorf).
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 428303 5136203
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
- Winter boots or hiking/trekking boots with a good grip
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
- 2 Waypoints
- 2 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view