Snow-covered forest, river landscape frozen in ice. The wintry impressions and beautiful views make this a delightful hike along the Wysswasser River.
The starting point of the winter hike is Aletsch Zoo, a short distance uphill from the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car. From there you follow the Bregeraweg trail, which runs at a slight elevation alongside the Wysswasser glacier river to Fieschertal. Time and again there are beautiful views of Fiesch to enjoy as you pass through the snow-covered forest. The last section of the trail crosses open countryside: after Hämischbode and the hamlet of Wichel, you arrive at Fieschertal village square. The way back to Fiesch takes you along the wheelchair path on the opposite bank of the Wysswasser. River sections, trees and bushes frozen in bizarre ways make this stretch of trail alongside the water particularly striking. Before reaching Fiesch, you pass the Fieschertal children’s playground, the Blätz children’s ski lift and the viaduct of the Matterhorn Gotthard Railway. Alternatively you can catch the sports bus or PostBus from Fieschertal back to Fiesch.
Visit Aletsch Zoo with its many domestic and wild animals! For younger visitors there is even a petting zoo.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: March 29, 2021
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, then follow Furkastrasse to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 433608 5139371
Book recommendation by the author
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Push the arrows to change the view