An easy, leisurely circular hike, accompanied throughout by fabulous views of the mountains.
Distance 4 km
From the mountain station of Bettmeralp cable car, set off through Bettmeralp village, past the Maria zum Schnee Chapel, as far as Hotel Alpfrieden. Here you follow the trail that leads to the valley station of the Bettmerhorn cable car, where the short ascent to Lake Bettmersee begins. The circular trail takes you first along the eastern edge of Lake Bettmersee, then up to the alpine stables and back to Lake Bettmersee. During the summer months, local farmers still keep their cows at the alpine stables. Take the same route back to the starting point of the hike, passing the valley station of the Bettmerhorn gondola lift and then heading west through Bettmeralp to the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car.
What amazing views of the mountains! Pause at the benches along the path and take all the time you like to soak up the superb scenery.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: December 21, 2021
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leaveanywaste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertainweather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten valley station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427542 5137403
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hikingpoles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view