Relaxed winter hiking with a view: no major climbs and yet fantastic views of the entire sunny plateau and the Valais mountains, including the Matterhorn.
From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, walk through Bettmeralp village as far as the valley station of the Bettmerhorn cable car. From there, follow the path which leads gently uphill to Lake Bettmersee. Here you head west along the level path past the cross-country ski trail and the Blausee Schönbodu piste. The winter hiking trail now rises gently towards the middle station of the Blausee chairlift. At the reservoir, use the underpass to cross the piste. The following level section, as far as the mountain station of the Golmen Lift, is shared with tobogganers. From the Golmen Lift mountain station, the trail takes you back downhill: at first parallel to the ski piste as far as the Gopplerlücke Alpine stables, then on to the Gletscherbahn Moosfluh valley station. From there, follow the trail west to Riederalp Mitte.
The Matterhorn is considered one of the world’s most beautiful mountains. On this route, you never lose sight of this impressive “four-thousander”.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 18, 2020
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427541 5137407
Book recommendation by the author
- Winter boots or hiking/trekking boots with a good grip
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.