Themed trail: Great Aletsch Glacier through the Ages
Aletsch Arena AG Verified partner Explorers Choice
Themenweg Grosser Aletschgletscher im Wandel der ZeitPhoto: Aletsch Arena AG
From Riederalp Mitte, head eastwards to the Gletscherbahn Moosfluh valley station. The cable car takes you to the starting point of the hike at the Moosfluh View Point. From there follow the road east via Biel down to the Chatzulecher lakes. Four information boards along the path present fascinating facts about the Great Aletsch Glacier: they tell you about the changes in the Great Aletsch Glacier since the last ice age (Würm glaciation) and show how the history of the ice giant can be reconstructed.
- The first information board (Moosfluh, 2,333m above sea level) shows the extent of the Great Aletsch Glacier during the last ice age.
- The second information board (Biel, 2,280m above sea level) documents the end of the ice age: it depicts the moraine wall as it looked 11,700 years ago.
- The third information board is located near the Young Drift Moraine (2,130m above sea level). It shows the glacier in about 1860.
- The fourth information board is 70 altitude metres above the glacier (2,000m above sea level) and explains how it is possible to reconstruct the history of the Great Aletsch Glacier.
Want to get even closer to the glacier? Go on a UNESCO Glacier Tour with Martin Nellen!
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Public-transport-friendlyBy train from Brig or Oberwald to Mörel-Filet, then on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Riederalp.
By roadTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others