The medium-difficulty themed trail, which runs high above the Massa Gorge, stands out for its interesting insights and breathtaking views. This tour is a thrilling experience!
Distance 8.3 km
From Blatten, walk via Rischinu Forest to the Gebidem bridge. On the other side, take the path leading out of the valley via Gragg in the direction of the Massa Gorge. Follow the Massa Trail, which is carved into the rock and takes you along the Bisse de Riederi. The themed trail provides an impressive overview of the old irrigation systems created by the people of Valais. The well-restored bisse and information panels afford insights into the history, construction and maintenance of the bisse channel systems as well as the associated customs and myths. High above the Massa Gorge, breathtaking views of the Rhone Valley and the Valais Alps open up in many places. Please note: the trail runs in part at great heights, over narrow bridges and exposed spots. Sure-footedness and a head for heights are a must! It can get slippery when wet! Passing Rieschwald and Roti Flue, you eventually come to Ried-Mörel. From there you take the cable car down to Mörel or up to Riederalp.
The Rischinu Forest has a particularly mystical atmosphere. Take the time to let it work its magic on you.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: December 23, 2021
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Cantonal Road 19 to the Brig exit, then follow Blattenstrasse from Naters to the valley station of the Blatten-Belalp cable car in Blatten bei Naters.
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Blatten-Belalp cable car.
32T 421825 5134381
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view