Learn interesting facts about the healing power of local herbs: 10 information boards turn the hiking route along the Forest Promenade into the instructive Medicinal Herb Trail.
Distance 2.8 km
From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, head eastwards through the village until you reach Baschweri Adventure Park. Here you’ll find the start of the Medicinal Herb themed trail, which was created single-handedly by Nina Brechbühl for her Matura dissertation at Kollegium Brig. First follow the fairly level path past Baschweri Adventure Park as far as Martisbergeralp. After about half an hour, the route doubles back on itself towards the west. Climbing slightly, it then levels off again and leads towards Alte Stafel. From there you take the downhill path, past the Möriken-Wildegg group hostel, back to the starting point. Walking time approx. 1 hour.
A delicious tea or soothing ointment? With your newly acquired knowledge about medicinal herbs, you can now make them yourself.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: December 23, 2021
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 428384 5137807
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view