Casselweg themed trail around the Riederhorn
Aletsch Arena AG Verified partner Explorers Choice
Themenweg Casselweg rund um das RiederhornPhoto: Aletsch Arena AG
From Riederalp West, walk up to Riederfurka, where the Casselweg themed trail starts and finishes, at Villa Cassel. The circular hiking trail takes you right round the Riederhorn in about an hour. There are only a few gradients to overcome, but several of the paths are somewhat exposed. From mid-June to mid-October, information boards along the path give you interesting glimpses into the life of Sir Ernest Cassel and his aristocratic guests. At the turn of the 20th century, the imposing Villa Cassel on Riederfurka was the glamorous summer residence of the English banker and his exclusive guests from aristocracy and high finance. The Casselweg themed trail offers insights into their lives and recounts anecdotes from the time when members of the English upper class spent their summer holidays on Riederfurka. This hike ends with the descent to Riederalp West.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Public-transport-friendlyBy train from Brig or Oberwald to Mörel-Filet, then on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Riederalp.
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others