The Culture Discovery trail combines an enjoyable, easy hike to the beautiful Valais village with interesting stories of how life in Valais used to be in the olden days.
Distance 4.6 km
From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, set off eastwards until you reach the Maria zum Schnee Chapel. The themed trail begins at Bettmer-Alphitta. The Culture Discovery trail takes you past beautiful alpine pastures and the hamlets of Ried and Domo down to Betten village. On nine information boards along the beautifully appointed path, Aletscha and Aletschander, two local children, tell interesting stories of how village life used to be: What was Valais village life like back then, during the winter months down in the village? And what was it like in summer when the mountain farmers took their cattle up to graze the alpine pastures? On the roughly 4 km trail, these stories convey interesting facts about people’s lives in the Valais of yesteryear. Back in Betten village, the cable car takes you back to Bettmeralp or down to Betten valley station.
Betten village is an idyllic Valais village with beautiful old Valais houses. A tour of the village is a must while you’re there!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: May 24, 2022
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427537 5137395
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view