The ridge trail promises genuine challenges and fantastic views of the Aletsch Glacier and the Valais mountain scenery. Sure-footed hikers with a head for heights will love it!
Distance 3 km
The hike starts at the Bettmeralp cable-car mountain station. It takes about half an hour to reach the summit of the Bettmerhorn (2,647m) via a fixed rope route. From there you follow the partly exposed but well-secured ridge trail for about 1.5km, until you reach the steep descent down to Elselicka. Cable handrails are provided for your safety. The path along the ridge is designated an Alpine Route, meaning that it is suitable only for sure-footed hikers with no fear of heights! Keep to the white/blue marked path on this section! From Elselicka, the route follows a well-maintained hiking trail up to the mountain station of the Eggishorn cable car (2,869m), the end of the UNESCO high-altitude trail.
Get yourself the Aletsch Explorer! The combined cableway and train ticket gives you unlimited travel in the Aletsch Arena!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: February 28, 2021
Rest StopMountain hut Horli-Hitta
Safety informationSummer sports report
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips and hintsAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 429038 5140083
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view