From the mountain station of Bettmeralp cable car, head eastwards through Bettmeralp village. At Hotel Alpfrieden you take the uppermost path. It’s about a 15-minute walk to Bachtla Sports Centre. From there, the Tanzboden conveyor belt takes the young bikers up to the start of the Kids Track. It is open from about mid-July to mid-August and can be used free of charge. The 400m-long Kids Track runs right next to it. The winding natural track is ideal for improving off-road bike technique. Afterwards, the young bikers can let off steam in the Pump Park.
Please note: Bikes and helmets can be rented for a fee at Bachtla Sports Centre. However, they may only be used on the Kids Track and in the Pump Park.
A pump track is a circuit track built especially for bikes on flat terrain and features rollers, banked turns and jumps. By dynamically shifting their body weight (pumping), riders propel themselves forwards without needing to pedal. On a pump track, the forces acting on the riders are only as great as the forces they are able to build up themselves. This makes pump tracks suitable for both beginners and advanced riders. Riding on a pump track boosts coordination, balance and strength, as well as being fun and suitable for children. There are no accident statistics to date.
- Children should be carefully introduced to the use of the pump track.
- Set the saddle to the lowest possible position and stand on the pedals.
- Do not enter the pump track from outside the circuit at a high speed, as this generates excessive forces. Build up your speed only on the pump track itself.
- Keep an eye on other riders and ride considerately.
Tips and hints
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Protectors are recommended
- Special Pump Park bikes and helmets can be rented at the Bachtla Sports Centre
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.