Centuries-old stone pines, the Great Aletsch Glacier and a landscape shaped by the Ice Age: the trail showcases impressively what nature has created here.
Distance 12.3 km
From Riederalp West, it’s an uphill walk onto Riederfurka, home of the imposing Villa Cassel and the Pro Natura Centre Aletsch. Now follow the Lengmoosweg in the direction of Bischofssitz. The trail takes you through the protected Aletsch Forest with its ancient stone pines. Stay on this path until you reach the signpost for Breitebode – Moosfluh – Biel, then take the turnoff leading uphill towards the ridge. At Biel, the path branches off to the famous emerald-green lakes of the Chatzulecher. Every step on this downhill section brings you closer to the Great Aletsch Glacier. On the way back, follow the same path to Biel and then head west to Moosfluh view point. From there, take the Gletscherbahn Moosfluh down to Riederalp West. Alternatively, from Biel you can walk straight down to Riederalp.
Not a view point, but an idyllic mountain lake: the alternative route takes you from Breitebode past Blausee and Biel to the Chatzulecher lakes.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: June 10, 2022
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
ParkingPlease inform yourself about parking facilities on site.
32T 425097 5136306
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view