Hike to the other side of the valley just below the impressive Gibidum dam! Enjoy nature and wonderful views of the mountains!
Distance 12.1 km
The trail takes you from Riederalp up to Riederfurka, where you can enjoy a fabulous panoramic vista of mountains and glaciers. Tip: If you take advantage of the cable car for this section, the rest of the route is mostly downhill! Follow the signs to Knebelbrücke along a beautifully laid-out path to the Rotbrüch turning and on via Knebelbrücke to Oberried. Here you follow the Massaweg trail towards the Gibidum reservoir/Blatten. Cross the bridge below the impressive Gibidum dam. On the other side of the valley, follow the easy trail up to the mountain village of Blatten. From there you catch the PostBus, train and cable car taking you via Brig and Mörel back to Riederalp.
Visit the interactive exhibition of the “World Nature Forum” in Naters and learn a lot of interesting facts about the UNESCO World Heritage Site!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: November 04, 2021
Rest StopVilla Cassel
Safety informationSummer sports report
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hintsAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
32T 425102 5136304
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view