An old trade route, a Roman bridge, tunnels, bizarre rock formations and an imposing gorge. This hike on historic trails is a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Distance 13.3 km
From the bridge in Fiesch (at the Fieschertal/Bahnhof turn-off), continue in a westerly direction through Wiler and towards Lax, where the hike begins in earnest. Once there, take the path that leads from Restaurant Bellevue down to the bridge across the Rhone, then continue on the other side of the valley up to Wasen. From here, you’ll be hiking along the historic trade route that stretches from Grengiols to Binn and continues via the Albrun Pass to Italy. First make your way towards Hockmatta, climbing for around two kilometres before crossing the historic Roman bridge. The hike continues uphill towards the Twingischlucht gorge. The path leads past impressive rock formations, through tunnels and over bridges. Wayside crosses provide a reminder that you’re now on the most challenging and dangerous section of this old trade route. After crossing the Twingischlucht gorge, the last part of the hike leads across a road and directly into the mineral village of Binn, where you can take the PostBus back to Fiesch.
Make sure you visit the Lengenbach mineral quarry! You can search for leftover semi-precious stones in the quarried rock at the free “excavation site”. Good luck!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: June 16, 2021
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, follow Furkastrasse as far as the parking facilities.
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 433395 5139245
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view