A leisurely, enjoyable hike along the mountain ridge with some unbeatable highlights. Enjoy fabulous vistas from the view points and earn interesting facts in the exhibitions.
Distance 7.5 km
From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, walk through Bettmeralp village as far as the valley station of the Bettmerhorn cable car. It’s then just a few minutes by gondola up to Bettmerhorn view point – a magnificent lookout point and the start of the hike. Before you set off, we recommend visiting the free exhibition “Bettmerhorn Glacier World”, right inside the mountain station. From Bettmerhorn you then hike westwards along the mountain ridge via Hohbalm and Biel, until you reach the mountain station of Gletscherbahn Moosfluh and the second view point of the tour. Once again you can enjoy the magnificent views of the Great Aletsch Glacier and the Valais mountain panorama. From here you follow the adventure trail/ridge path over Hohfluh to Riederfurka, where Villa Cassel, home to the Pro Natura Centre Aletsch, is located. The last stage takes you from Riederfurka down to Riederalp.
The exhibition and alpine garden at the Nature Conservation Centre in Villa Cassel on Riederfurka are well worth seeing! Be sure to plan a visit!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: October 29, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 429082 5140075
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view