An enjoyable hike that ends with a challenging climb. Sure-footedness and physical fitness are a must for the last few metres. But the panoramic view from the summit of the Bettmerhorn is worth it.
From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, first head east via Bettmeralp and then up to Lake Bettmersee. The beautifully laid out hiking trail begins on the east side of the idyllic mountain lake. The trail leads via Schönbiel and Hohbalm, reaching Bettmerhorn mountain station in around two hours. From there, you’ll tackle the roughly 30-minute climb to the summit of the Bettmerhorn. The climb up the southern flank of the mountain branches off directly in front of the mountain restaurant, and requires some physical fitness but above all sure-footedness! However, it is well secured with cables as well as wooden steps in some areas. Once you arrive at the summit of the Bettmerhorn, you should take the time to fully enjoy the breathtaking panoramic view of the Great Aletsch Glacier and the four-thousand-metre Valais peaks before heading back down to the mountain station on the same path as before. From there, take the gondola down to Bettmeralp.
The free “Bettmerhorn Glacier World” exhibition near the Bettmerhorn mountain restaurant is definitely worth a look – it complements the hike perfectly!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: October 30, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427545 5137411
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Push the arrows to change the view