A pleasant hike along the sunny valley slopes, passing small hamlets and the idyllic village of Betten Dorf on the way down into the valley.
The starting point of this tour is Bettmeralp cable car mountain station. Take the underpass and follow the road along the Alpmatten district as far as Ried. Then turn off onto the hiking trail that leads towards the valley. The path leads past the small hamlets of Domo, Breite and Egga to Betten Dorf, which you cross in a westerly direction, passing the church along your way. Take the path below the middle station of the Betten Dorf cable car and continue downhill to Mörel-Filet past the shooting range and Breiten. You’ll have to cross the road at several points during this section of the hike. Once you arrive in the valley, you have two options: you can take the train to Betten valley station and the cable car up to Bettmeralp, Alternatively, you can take the cable car to Riederalp and walk to Bettmeralp via the Aletsch Promenade.
Betten village is an idyllic Valais village with beautiful old Valais houses. A tour of the village is a must while you’re there!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: January 25, 2021
Rest StopBadehotel Salina Maris - Wellness & Vintage
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427547 5137416
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Push the arrows to change the view