The adrenaline buzz on the suspension bridge, the imposing view of the glacier gate and ancient Swiss stone pines in Aletsch Forest make this hike a truly impressive experience.
Distance 11.4 km
From Hotel Belalp you hike down the Steigle to Aletschji, from where you cross the Leng Acker to the old glacier ascent and to the Belalp-Riederalp suspension bridge. At 124m long and 80m high, the suspension bridge is the highlight of the tour! Spanning the Massa Gorge, it gives you a stunning view of the snout of the Great Aletsch Glacier. After crossing the bridge, you have a choice of two routes for the ascent to Riederfurka: one takes you through the shady Teiffewald forest, the other via Silbersand and a place known as Death Valley since it can get very hot there in strong sunshine. From Silbersand the path rises slightly through Aletsch Forest to Riederfurka. The descent to Riederalp is the last stage of this impressive hike.
The Round Trip Ticket offered by Aletsch Bahnen AG lets you use all public transport and cable cars on this hike
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: November 02, 2021
Rest StopHotel Belalp
Safety informationSummer sports report
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hintsAletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58
Getting thereTake Cantonal Road 19 to the Brig exit, then follow Blattenstrasse from Naters to the valley station of the Blatten-Belalp cable car in Blatten bei Naters.
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Blatten-Belalp cable car.
32T 421142 5135882
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view