From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, set off in an easterly direction, passing the Maria zum Schnee Chapel and some typical Valais chalets before continuing through Bettmeralp. Then hike through Baschweri Adventure Park and through the forest before taking the Weiden/Martisberg turn-off. The descent towards Martisberg leads through a particularly beautiful and idyllic landscape: you’ll see cows grazing in fields blossoming with all kinds of colourful flowers, as well as magnificent larch forests and springtime pastures all along the way. Once you arrive in Martisberg, cross the village and take the path through Baderwald forest to Betten Dorf. Beautiful views of the Rhone valley accompany you throughout this part of the hike. Back in Betten village, the cable car takes you back to Bettmeralp or down to Betten valley station.
Tip: The Martisberg region was chosen for a biodiversity project by Forst Aletsch thanks to its unspoilt character and abundance of species.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)