The 124-meter-long hanging bridge is a highlight in the Aletsch hiking paradise. The suspension bridge is not merely a convenient connection between Belalp and Riederalp, it crosses the gorge a dizzying 80 meters above the water right in front of the Aletsch glacier’s snout. A truly thrilling and memorable experience.
Once upon a time, one crossed the Aletsch glacier to get from Belalp to Riederalp. However, the glacier’s retreat has rendered this impossible. The suspension bridge that was built in 2008 in cooperation with Pro Natura, the WWF and UNESCO World Heritage Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch reestablishes this link.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.