Pure hiking pleasure – though you’ll need to be in good shape for the 600m climb. On this tour through Untergoms you’ll discover villages with well-preserved historic centres.
Starting from the valley station of the Fiesch cable car, follow the Bregeraweg trail to the signpost for Bellwald. The path leads through wonderfully shady forests up towards the St Anna Chapel and on through the meadows to Bellwald, the highest point of the hike. By this point you’ve climbed around 600 metres. Cross through the village and take the path that leads gently downhill through a larch forest to Niederwald. Shortly after Niederwald, you’ll cross the young Rhone and continue on fairly level terrain down the other side of the valley to Mühlebach via Steinhaus. After a quick detour to the gallows where criminals were once hanged and a visit to the old mill, continue on to Ernen. From there, the final stage of the hike follows the old mule track through Ärnerfäld, down to the young Rhone and takes you back to Fiesch on the other side of the river.
A must-see: Mühlebach is home to the oldest village centre in Switzerland consisting of wooden structures. Be sure to plan in enough time to tour the village!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 01, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, then follow Furkastrasse to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 433591 5139359
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.