This beautiful hike lets nature shows off her plentiful charms: age-old stone pines in the protected Aletsch Forest are followed by breathtaking views of the Great Aletsch Glacier.
Starting at Riederalp West mountain station, head up to Riederfurka. From there, follow the Lower Aletsch Trail eastwards through the protected Aletsch Forest with its stone pines, some of which are over 900 years old. As you then pass ancient moraines down to Silbersand, you get your first views of the striking Great Aletsch Glacier. Continue on to the Bischofssitz or “Bishop’s Seat”, which owes its name to a former bishop who often had himself carried up to this point in a sedan chair. The return route takes you via Lengmoosweg through the ancient pines of the Aletsch Forest and up to Riederfurka. This is where the imposing Villa Cassel, the home of the Pro Natura Centre, is located. The last stage is the descent from Riederfurka to the Riederalp West mountain station.
The exhibition and alpine garden at the Nature Conservation Centre in Villa Cassel on Riederfurka are well worth seeing! Be sure to plan a visit!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 23, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
32T 425112 5136304
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Push the arrows to change the view