Fabulous hike through the protected Aletsch Forest with views of the Great Aletsch Glacier at Silbersand. At Lake Grünsee you can see how big the enormous ice flow once was.
Starting at Riederalp West mountain station, head up to Riederfurka. From there, follow the trail through Teiffewald forest to Lake Grünsee. Now proceed eastwards to Silbersand – the destination of the hike, with its magnificent views of the Great Aletsch Glacier. The return route takes you along the Lower Aletsch Trail through the protected Aletsch Forest with its stone pines, some of which are over 900 years old, up to Riederfurka. Here you have the opportunity to visit the Pro Natura Centre in the imposing Villa Cassel before tackling the last stage of the hike downhill to Riederalp.
About 80 years ago, the area around Lake Grünsee was still covered by glacial ice. The markers and information boards there provide information about this.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 01, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
32T 425106 5136304
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Push the arrows to change the view