Glorious vistas and the two idyllic mountain lakes, Tälligratsee and Märjelensee. If you enjoy hiking and nature, this beautiful mountain hike is the perfect combination!
The hiking trail starts directly behind the Horli-Hitta, near the mountain station of the Eggishorn cable car. Follow the path as it zigzags downhill, as far as the “Gletscherstube, Tälligrat, Märjelen” signpost. Turn off onto the beautifully laid-out footpath over Tälligrat Ridge to the little lake of Tällisee with its beautiful views. From there you continue down to the “Gletscherstube” mountain hut. Take a short detour from here to the “Platta”, an excellent vantage point, to get an idea of how big Lake Märjelensee once was. It is easy to see the deposits that mark the former shoreline. Alternatively, you can walk directly down to the lake itself. For the return journey to Fiescheralp, you have two options from the Gletscherstube: the slightly longer route takes you via Unners Tälli. Or you can walk back to the sunny plateau of the Aletsch Arena through the illuminated Tälligrat Tunnel (Obers Tälli), the last leg of the journey taking you to Fiescheralp.
Feel like scaling a peak? At the beginning of the hike, make a brief detour to the summit of Mount Eggishorn (2,926m)!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: July 22, 2020
Rest StopMountain hut Gletscherstube
Mountain hut Horli-Hitta
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, then follow Furkastrasse to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Eggishorn.
ParkingLarge pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 430342 5141980
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.