The Great Aletsch Glacier, landscapes shaped by the perpetual ice, colourful alpine flora and an idyllic glacial lake. Experience glorious nature in all its facets!
Distance 14.9 km
The starting point of the hike is the Bettmerhorn view point, two minutes’ walk from the Bettmerhorn cable-car mountain station (2,647m). At first the route takes you gently downwards via “Uf de Setzu” towards Roti Chumma. The Great Aletsch Glacier is constantly in your sights on this section of the trail, and each step brings you closer. Following the path cut in the rock with stone steps, you head towards Märjela, Märjelensee and the “Gletscherstube” mountain hut. You return to the sunny plateau of the Aletsch Arena via Unneres Tälli or Oberes Tälli (or take a shortcut through the kilometre-long, illuminated Tälligrattunnel). Walk as far as Salzgäb and then follow the path downhill to Fiescheralp. The last section of this fantastic hike takes you back to Bettmeralp.
Enjoy a break in the idyllically situated Gletscherstube to relive your impressions of the Great Aletsch Glacier!
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: May 11, 2022
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- The trail leads through rocky territory, hence a steady footing is required.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 428956 5140189
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view