The emerald-green Chatzulecher lakes and the panorama from the Moosfluh view point are just two of the highlights of this amazing tour! And the new route makes it easier to get there!
The Bettmeralp cable car mountain station is the starting point of the tour. Set off in an easterly direction, past the Maria zum Schnee chapel, through the village and up to Lake Bettmersee. Here you follow the path along the western shore of the lake. Make your way via Lake Blausee and Breite Bodu up to the Gletscherbahn Moosfluh mountain station. At the view point, magnificent panoramic views of the Great Aletsch Glacier and the four-thousand-metre peaks of Valais await you! From there, follow the path east to Biel and then continue downhill to the Chatzulecher lakes, which you’ll see shimmering right at the edge of the glacier. The return journey follows the same path back to Biel, where you switch to the south side of the mountain to tackle the final stage of the hike: the descent to Bettmeralp. Hint: For a shorter tour, take the Gletscherbahn Moosfluh up to the view point: set off west from the starting point, following the Aletsch Promenade up to Riederalp (approx. 25 mins).
The Chatzulecher lakes are an exceptionally beautiful place to stop for a rest. Enjoy the magnificent view and recover your strength ahead of the climb up to Biel.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: October 16, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427544 5137410
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Push the arrows to change the view