So close and so beautiful: enjoy an unforgettable summer’s day at Bettmersee, an idyllic mountain lake with a pram-friendly circular hike and a host of leisure activities.
From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, set off in an easterly direction, passing the Maria zum Schnee Chapel and some typical Valais chalets, then continue through the village and up to Lake Bettmersee. It will take around 15 minutes to make the gentle climb to the idyllic mountain lake. Bettmersee is a particularly beautiful corner of the sunny plateau, which you can walk around on a pram-friendly hiking trail. There’s also an excellent choice of leisure activities: benches invite you to rest a while, have a picnic, or do some sunbathing. Feel thoroughly refreshed with a dip in the cool water. Boats are available to rent in good weather every day from mid-July to mid-October, so why not take a spin in a pedalo or a rowboat? If you’re feeling brave you can have a go at stand-up paddle-boarding. There’s also a natural paddling pool for children as well as a beach volleyball court and a barbecue area.
Mountain air makes you hungry! Luckily there’s a barbecue area at Lake Bettmersee. Discover how much fun it is to barbecue at this idyllic location.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Updated: December 01, 2020
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips, hints and links
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
ParkingLarge pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
32T 427548 5137417
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Push the arrows to change the view